Air, Road Transport Hauliers Industry
The Air, Road Transport Hauliers Industry is made up of any company that deals with the transportation of people, products or animals and includes modes of transport such as rail, road, air, water, cable (Telecommunications) and pipeline.
Your Total Solution For Health and Safety Compliance In The Air, Road Transport Hauliers Industry
Health and safety compliance for road transport hauliers in South Africa
The road transport industry is a vital part of the economy, but it is also one of the most dangerous industries in terms of occupational health and safety (OHS). In 2018, there were over 100,000 fatalities in road transport accidents worldwide. In addition, road transport workers are at risk of a variety of other OHS hazards, such as exposure to hazardous substances, musculoskeletal disorders, and psychological stress.
Any questions? Speak to one of our Experts
Health and Safety Requirements for the Road Transport Industry in South Africa
Road Transport companies in South Africa must also comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Act 85 of 1993). This Act sets out general health and safety requirements for all workplaces, including the road transport industry.
Physical Infrastructure and Safety:
- Road transport companies must ensure their vehicles are well-maintained and in safe operating condition. This includes regular inspections, maintenance schedules, and addressing any identified defects promptly.
- Vehicles must be equipped with appropriate safety features, including seatbelts, airbags, and emergency exits.
- Workplaces, such as depots and offices, must adhere to safety standards, including proper lighting, ventilation, and fire safety measures.
Health and Safety Management System:
- Road transport companies must implement a comprehensive health and safety management system (HSMS). This includes developing a written health and safety policy, establishing risk assessment procedures, and implementing corrective actions based on identified risks.
- Regular training must be provided to drivers and staff on health and safety matters, covering topics such as safe driving practices, emergency procedures, and hazard identification.
Emergency Preparedness and Response:
- Road transport companies must have an emergency plan in place to address incidents such as accidents, breakdowns, and natural disasters. The plan should outline clear communication protocols, emergency response procedures, and first aid protocols.
- Vehicles should be equipped with first aid kits and emergency supplies.
- Health and Well-being of Drivers and Staff:
- Road transport companies must promote a culture of safety and well-being among their drivers and staff. This includes encouraging healthy lifestyles, providing adequate rest periods, and addressing fatigue-related concerns.
- Regular health and wellness checks should be offered to drivers and staff to identify potential risks and provide necessary support.
Top 10 Hazards and Associated Risks in the Road Transport Industry in South Africa:
- Distracted driving: Using mobile phones, eating, or engaging in other activities while driving can significantly increase the risk of accidents.
- Fatigue: Long driving hours, irregular schedules, and sleep deprivation can impair driver alertness and increase the risk of accidents.
- Speeding: Exceeding speed limits is a major factor in road accidents, as it reduces reaction time and increases the severity of crashes.
- Overloading: Carrying excessive cargo can compromise vehicle stability and braking performance, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Hazardous goods transportation: Improper handling and transport of dangerous substances can lead to fires, explosions, and environmental contamination.
- Poor road conditions: Uneven surfaces, potholes, and inadequate signage can contribute to accidents, especially at night or during adverse weather conditions.
- Mechanical defects: Faulty brakes, tires, or steering systems can pose serious safety risks, highlighting the importance of regular vehicle maintenance.
- Improper vehicle loading: Improperly secured cargo can shift during transport, potentially causing loss of control and accidents.
- Aggressive driving: Tailgating, sudden lane changes, and other aggressive driving behaviors increase the risk of collisions.
- Working alone: Drivers working alone may face increased safety risks, particularly when transporting valuables or traveling in remote areas.
Top 10 Unsafe Acts and Conditions in the Road Transport Industry in South Africa:
- Using mobile phones or engaging in other distractions while driving.
- Driving while fatigued or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Exceeding speed limits or driving recklessly.
- Overloading vehicles beyond their safe capacity.
- Failing to properly secure cargo or handling hazardous substances without proper training and equipment.
- Driving without a valid driver's license or failing to adhere to traffic regulations.
- Ignoring vehicle warning signs or failing to report mechanical defects promptly.
- Improper use of safety equipment, such as seatbelts and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Working alone in hazardous situations without proper communication or support.
- Failing to report accidents or near misses, hindering the identification and prevention of future incidents.
Top 10 Pain Points in Health and Safety for the Road Transport Industry in South Africa:
- Lack of awareness and training on health and safety procedures among drivers and staff.
- Ineffective enforcement of health and safety regulations by authorities.
- Inadequate maintenance and unsafe condition of roads and infrastructure.
- High turnover of drivers, leading to challenges in maintaining consistent safety standards.
- Pressure to meet tight delivery schedules, potentially compromising safety measures.
- Limited funding for health and safety initiatives and training programs.
Any questions? Speak to one of our Experts
Benefits of health and safety compliance for road transport hauliers in South Africa
Safe Operating Procedures
MAKROSAFE can help employers in the Air Road & Transport Hauliers Industry to develop and implement safe operating procedures for all tasks and activities. This includes:
- Identifying all potential hazards
- Assessing the risks associated with each hazard
- Developing procedures to eliminate or reduce the risks
- Training employees on the procedures
- Monitoring and reviewing the procedures to ensure that they are effective
MAKROSAFE can also help employers to develop and deliver toolbox talks on a variety of health and safety topics. Toolbox talks are short, informal talks that are given to employees at the start of a shift or before starting a new task. They are a great way to raise awareness of health and safety issues and to remind employees of the safe way to work.
Health and Safety Training
MAKROSAFE offers a wide range of health and safety training courses for the Air Road & Transport Hauliers Industry. These courses cover a variety of topics, including:
- Fire Fighting
- First Aid Training
- Accident - Incident Investigation Training
- Use of forklifts and other lifting equipment
- Hazardous chemicals
MAKROSAFE also offers a number of other services to help employers in the Air Road & Transport Hauliers Industry to improve their health and safety performance. These services include:
- Risk assessments
- Health and safety audits
- Accident investigation
- Development of health and safety programs
- Consultation and advice
Why Choose MAKROSAFE?
MAKROSAFE is a leading provider of health and safety services in South Africa. We have a team of experienced and qualified health and safety professionals who can help you to improve your health and safety performance and to create a safer workplace for your employees.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.
Click on the image below to find a SafetyWallet Solution that suits your business (Branch/Site specific) and get the benefits along with the subscription:
Have questions? Engage with us through the chat box on your screen—we're here to guide you toward a safer, more compliant future.To find out what other Additional Services we offer, please click on the picture below: